Samuel Hume Blake, 1836 - 1914
Samuel Hume Blake was the second son of William Hume Blake (1809-1870). He was born in Toronto on August 31, 1836.
Called to the bar in 1860, he became first Chancellor of Upper Canada, then in 1872 Q.C. and Vice Chancellor of Ontario. An active layman in the church of England in Canada, he wrote many pamphlets on religious question and was one of the founders of Wycllffe College, Toronto.
Samuel Hume Blake was twice married: first, in 1859, to Rebecca Cronyn, daughter of Benjamin Cronyn, Bishop of Huron; second, in 1909, to Miss Baird of Toronto. By his first wife he had a son, William Hume Blake (1861-1924), who is also remembered with a plaque in this church.
Samuel Hume Blake, with several others, founded the Murray Bay Protestant Church in 1866; he served as a Trustee of the church from 1876 to 1900. In 1873 he bought land from William B. Lamb and built the spacious house, Mille Roches. He died in Toronto on June 23rd, 1914.
William Busby Lamb, 1826 - 1905.
The Montreal lawyer William Busby Lamb first visited Murray Bay in 1846. Having sought shelter in the village during a violent storm, he found, when the weather cleared, much to delight him in the area. Struck, too, by its potential as a summer resort, he began acquiring land in Pointe-au-Pic, including choice property on which the present Manoir Richelieu is built.
He was one of the founders, in 1866, of the Murray Bay Protestant Church. His wife was named Gertrude (Morris) Lamb.
William Busby Lamb was also a talented artist who beautifully captured many local scenes.
The Beaton Family
Wallace and Peggie Beaton, Montrealers by birth but later of Toronto, purchased the "Fitzpatrick House" on the Chemin des Falaises in 1975.
ln 1978 Wallace succeeded Erskine Buchanan as Trustee and was appointed treasurer in 1983. He held both positions until his health declined in 2003. Peggie was an active member of the Woman's Committee, arranging flowers from her garden for the altar quite frequently.
ln 1993, their son Graham Beaton married Sylvie Tasse in the Murray Bay Protestant Church. Their daughter Tisha has served on church committees.
Wallace died in July 2007 and Stuart Martin celebrated his life with a service at the church. Peggie died four months later.
John "Jack" N. Cole
Among the church's many great friends, "Jack" Cole stands out as one of the most active and generous.
A financier, he spent forty-four years with Wood Gundy Limited in Montreal. Among the many good causes to which he devoted both time and money, particular mention should be made of the Montreal Children's Hospital foundation, for which he worked unstintingly, and McGill University where he endowed a Chair for the study of haematology and oncology. His special interest in these institutions stemmed from the death from leukemia of his beloved daughter Penny at age twenty.
Jack Cole and his Family spent their summers at Murray Bay. Their house on the rue Pednaud, although no longer in the hands of the Cole family, is still a centre of hospitality for the summer community. Mr. Cole was the Treasurer of this church from 1962 to 1983, and a Trustee from 1992.
He died in Montreal on 17 October 2004. He and his wife, Elsie May (Thomas) Cole, and their daughter Penny lie together, just outside in the churchyard. A generous bequest in his will enables the Murray Bay Protestant church to maintain the Church property as he would have wished, and to support charitable causes.
May Cole, the wife of Jack Cole, was instrumental in choosing the antique furniture that is in the Tadoussac Hotel.